12 August 2009

In the Family Way

The handbags are coming along for the etsy shop - I will post pictures when they are done - and when we went to get the lining fabric, my daughter Brigid said of the green one, half-finished, that she 'liked the green and pink' - the pink being the transfer pencil. So I told her I would make her one in green and pink. Corrupting the young!

Further to that end, my eldest, Percival, came by for some henna for tatoos for visiting Italian friends (girls) and said that he and his roomate, a bloke, have decided to buy a couple of acres up in Calaveras, where they were hiking this last weekend, and put up a couple of houses from 'ship cargo containers', grow their own food, and so on. He liked the idea because it was 'close enough to the city, but not too close.' This is the same young man who is studying to be a professor - Sac State or Davis would be well within reach. He is also the same young man who said, not entirely joking, 'I was raised by hippies - I hate white bread.' Um, that would be me. The houses are very eco friendly, easy and cheap to build, modular and easy to remodel. The whole garden idea just thrills me down to my toes. for I have a victory garden myself.

It made me so happy that the tenets with which he was insidiously instilled as a young child - with homemade baby food, cloth nappies and co-sleeping - took root and are sprouting in this way. Yes, he is a technogeek and has an iPhone, but he also has read ALL of Tolkien and speaks dead languages. When he and his sister and brother have a health or first aid problem, they always ring up Ma and ask first what natural remedies there are, without question. Ah, children, raised on homemade tinctures!

And I think to myself 'what a wonderful world'....

No comments: