08 August 2007

Caps

Being on holiday these two days to take my bunny to the vet - neutering - I have spent the time cutting out caps from the black batiste I bought recently for the purpose. Two yards of 44" wide fabric will make one grand coiffe and five 18th C caps (several with lappets because I am swooningly fond of them) - none of which is a pinner - and one mediaeval coif; of the latter, I have two already, but there was a bit of extra fabric, so waste not want not. One of the caps is identical to the one worn by Mother Seton; but my intention, but nice.

All these are to be made by hand, but not at night because I am quite blind these days. The patterns, which I've had for dogs' years, are from Carolina Stitches in Time, got at Lacis in Berkeley. The coiffe had no pattern, as it is pretty much a big triangle with the apex cut off. I lengthened the lappets, because, as noted above, I am mad about them.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Ah, now I think I know the pattern you speak of, Kannik's Korner cap pattern, although I used Suzanne Gousse's French 18thC coifs and caps from Fleur de Lyse Patterns.

I, too, am fond of lappets caps, which I wear in the photo on my blog, On Becoming Meek & Quiet.

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I have added you to my blogroll.