01 May 2008

Blodeuedd


Happy May Day to all!
Blodeuedd (meaning 'flower face') is a Persephone type maiden in the Mabinogi. I thought of her today because the prayer for today said, in part 'May the blessing of the Flower Bride...be with me.'

In this merry month of May - Sumer is a cumin in - there is much new activity, working through the much too long winter, germinating in spring, passing along to this bright day. A reorientation of my life to its rootedness: domesticity, crafts, herbs. Look for news of all these here.

A laundry list of works in progress: working on a bespoke kilt for my eldest son, my daughter's prom dress, frillies for self, the victory garden project, Dutch housecleaning, and ridding house of mice by natural means.

My dear friend Salena has suggested writing a book on the above, ala Mrs. Beeton. I am delighted with the idea. It begins here. Send in your recipies and household hints (preferably old)!


Unite and unite, and let us all unite
For summer is a-comin' today
And whither we are going we all will unite
In the merry morning of May

-Padstow, Traditional Cornish

No comments: