04 April 2009

A Day at the Races

Bless my Alumni Association! I was invited to the races at beautiful Golden Gate Fields, on a completely gorgeous day, and I went with my old friend Cathleen, who had never been to a live race meet. I went because of a lifelong love of horses and riding - and because it was a chance to swan about in Ascot worthy gladrags. In fact, the hat I wore was inspired by one worn by one of the Court ladies at this year's Ascot.

Several ladies accosted me, early and late, saying my dress and the hat were wonderful. Great for me as I trimmed it myself, and my daughter Brigid thought it completely outre, always a good thing.

American race meets are a little weird to me. I am much more familiar with Irish races, on courses and strand racing - if that doesn't give me away. And I promise not to sing The Galway Races.... But Cathleen did bring up 'The Quiet Man' and the race on Dingle strand. That bit of the film always amuses me, as our own little beach here in Linda Mar is just like Dingle strand - which is I guess why I live here in Celtofornia.

Me in the outrageous hat





Cathleen



The horses of one of the races, and the racecourse grounds. I had a wonderful time studying their conformation and temperament and judging how they would 'go'

2 comments:

clif said...

You look a bit flushed.

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

I always look this way