03 April 2009

Update Pet en l'air

If this were a tarot card, it would be The Tower.

I arrived home to a package notice from the Post Office. An Express Mail Must be signed for package. I hoped it was the toile. Called post office national customer service. The thing MUST be signed for in person by me. No signature cards.Only the sender (my little client) can request the signature be waived. I was informed by lady at PO number that this may or may not be granted. She didn't hold out much hope. Client could not phone til Monday anyway as that office is closed. Roman buereaucracy! Informed client of situation. And let it be known that I was beside myself that another week would be stripped from the sewing time by this delay.

It all rather blew up, and the little client's mother wants everything back. In dressmaking parlance, this is known as firing the client, and deadlines are always a big issue here. So are interfering mothers. In this case, the little client was a young woman of 18, who has a job, which is why I took the commission; she has a job, which she has had for some time, and paid for the dress herself in insallments, ergo she could follow through and get things done on time. This is the same reason your employer cares if you have a college degree. Any college degree. Nevertheless, I did keep the mother informed also. You can see what good this did. I figured, okay, so she's letting the daughter have a little life lesson here in responsibility, letting her fall on her face by sending everything so late. Nope. Just self-absorbed. And nasty when I gave the little client a reality check.

My sister, who is also a costume nerd, advised me after my first stint at burning the midnight oil not to overtax myself (I have Addison's disease) as I had waited for a month already. She also advised not to let myself be taken advantage of, and cited several personal examples. But there was NO way I could get it done if I didn't push, so.... caffeine here I come. Won't do that again.

This commission was not for money, but for love of the thing, and the girl. I am sorry it has gone so badly. But dear clients: when your dressmaker tells you it wil take at least a month to complete a project, believe her; it is based on experience. Do everything in your power to get the fabric and other necessaries to her as soon as possible so your item may be completed well in advance of your deadline.

The modiste is most unhappy.

No comments: