25 July 2007

Another gown and nostalgia

I forgot this one yesterday. Of the whole period, I have to say that the late 1780s and 90s and this are my favourite styles. I have made the Regency gown in many incarnations for others, for wedding gowns, dressing gowns, First Communion dress (my Bridgie) - for myself it did its turn in the maternity and nursing period. I like the neat lines of it, the grace.



Of other periods, I do like 1900 through the late 1930s, but there are styles I don't feel that I can wear anymore without looking like mutton dressed as lamb, and much of that in the 1910s is among them, alas. It is a very girlish manner of dress. Some of the tubular 20s dresses I must avoid also, as I just look boxy, but I'm right on with the 30s. Much of my work wardrobe still is chic 20s, 30s and early 40s - when not Edwardian.

Whenever I am called upon to play Mother of the Bride (or Groom) I have a pattern from the early 30s that I will use, with an interesting cut, jewel neck, asymetrical drapery across the bodice - very smart. But I refuse to wear pastel! I adored the Queen Mum, but that is not my look - even though by then my hair will probably be much lighter than this present ginger-fade-to-blonde. No, it will be jewel tones - I can make an exception for my kids' weddings - and in the glam retro style I used to wear. I will wear a hat. My whole life I have always been the only woman at weddings and funerals in a hat.

... Once, during the Christmas season, I was walking into a shop wearing a 1930s polka-dot dress (purple), my green velveteen hat, swish overcoat and gloves, and seamed stockings that day, and I heard the guy behind me whisper to his wife 'she does Swing Dancing...' I did, but it was cute to hear. At this time there were several of us retros in the Financial District, including a man in my office building who always wore the scrummiest suits - and a hat any time he was outdoors. He wasn't especially handsome, but oh my, did he have dash and style!

No comments: