25 July 2007

Bathing Costume

Over on a plain dress group I am a member of, there is a discussion of the latest in muslim swimwear - the burquini. It amounts to a tunic with or without sleeves, with or without long-sleeved undershirt, and leggings.

I hate leggings. Having spent years in tights as a dancer, I have had quite enough of showing off my legs. So I was wondering how the tunic with sleeves affair would look with loose knee-length drawers... and realised (here we go again!) that it was a bathing costume from the 1910s. Must have been a past life. In any event, this is more or less what I have in mind:



I do have a wonderful 1930s bathing suit, which to modern eyes is very modest... but it has big pink and brown flowers on it - on a green background - and is much too uncovered for my current needs. So here we go, backward to that incredibly amazing summer of 1914, when the weather in Europe was perfect, even in Dublin. Until the guns of August.

She is watching by the poplars,
Colinette with the sea-blue eyes,
She is watching and longing and waiting,
Where the long white roadway lies.
And a song stirs in the silence,
As the wind in the boughs above,
She listens and starts and trembles,
'Tis the first little song of love:

Roses are shining in Picardy,
In the hush of the silver dew,
Roses are flow'ring in Picardy,
But there's never a rose like you!
And the roses will die with the summertime,
And our roads may be far apart,
But there's one rose that dies Not in Picardy!
'Tis the rose that I keep in my heart!

2 comments:

Carol said...

You know, the early bathing costume looks pretty good! After 50 years as a skinny woman, I very suddenly put on a lot of weight. I have no desire to find a normal swimsuit to fit my large, 55-year-old figure. Why not a snappy bathing dress? I have a photo of my grandmother at Jones Beach, NY in 1912, when she was 18. From her pose and smile, she obviously thinks she's Baywatch material, and the black tunic and leggings are super-sexy!

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

I know what you mean - what happened to my body? I also have pictures of family in those jazzy Jantzen suits and aren't they just It!