11 July 2007

Domestic Life (Works in Progress)

In the wake of having sorted out the ‘summer clothing ration’ – the several items of work clothes I got the stuff for recently – it became time to make lists, begin new projects, and finish old ones.

Some of the old projects are:
-an Aesthetic dress in a yallery green leaf print, which I can wear at Christmas as a ‘dress gown’ (I never wear prints any more.)
-a stumpwork rendition of The Scarlet Letter (my lifelong obsession.)
-frame a repro Williamsburg sampler from the 1760s
-a pair of 1780s maternity stays (to go with a gown for a teaching project)
- a canvas chair cover for my friend Lady Washington (motifs only)

Those in progress are:
-ruching for a Swiss dirndl
-an altar cloth for our chapel at work

To be made up:
- a 17th C. Dutch wedding sampler for my friend’s 20th anniversary (her husband is Dutch)
- a queen stitch pinball for my friend Lady Washington (I must be insane)
- an Irish stitch pocketbook, ditto.

Then there is a new ‘Grand Coiffe’ in black batiste, to wear to Mass so people will not think I am a nun. I was searching about madly for an acceptable alternative to my plain black gauze half-circle veil, which to me was as Franciscan and un-nunlike as could be.

I have tried so hard to keep away from lace mantillas, ‘chapel veils’ (as being too much like an 18th C. pinner), and in general anything that savoured of the 18th C, precisely because I have done so much living history in the period and I didn’t want people to think I was obsessed; as those re-enactors who cannot readjust to the modern world, who haven’t a ‘real life’. And yet, one day, this solution in the form of the old coif appeared as a bolt from the blue, though I had seen it many times. It just felt ‘right’. I chose black because it is both as far from the re-enactor or Anabaptist as I could make, and because I am not twelve years old – which is my argument against white or cream Mass coverings in general.

Since deciding on this solution, my fancy has been devising all manner of day dresses in the 1780-1830 period – familiar and beloved. Necessary? Most certainly not. I have kept my made items to 1900-1948, which until recently was at least in the right century. Nevertheless, my heart is drawn to more remote periods – the 17th and early 18th centuries in specific. But even I recognise that any such garb, even as ‘undress’ wear would be way over the top.

When I worked at Williamsburg, Tasha Tudor was a frequent visitor and an especial friend of my dear Mr. Jefferson; I envied Miss Tudor’s being able to wear exactly what she pleases, which as everyone knows is not modern.

When I am an old woman I shall wear caracoes and round gowns; but for now I will content me with embroidery.

4 comments:

susannah eanes said...

hear! hear! my sentiments exactly!

i am forging beyond modern dresses myself and still fiddling with designs. i love those that slip over your head and tie simply to fit --and are therefore adjustable no matter what your figure happens to be at the moment (mine goes in and out constantly).

I'd love to see some of your "fancy devisings" based on 1780s-1830s (only a decade off from my personal favorite --1790 to 1840).

hugs, s

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

Dear Susanna,
I have such compassion for lovely you suffering through the changes of lupus!

Per adjustable clothes, many of mine are presently, and I am leaning every towards 'apron front' dresses and the forgiveness of petticoats that tie with tapes.

I wonder what your loose dresses look like? Ties attached to a band at an empire waist? That would look so fetching on you.

designs forthcoming for my own fancies, q.v. next post!
adieu,
kelly

susannah eanes said...

hi kelly - you can see them in my myspace page album if you're there (www.myspace.com/susannaheanes), or I can send you links to my photobucket album. I look best (less dumpy) with a fitted bodice & am experimenting with closings. so far, they hook & eye closed under the left armscye or are just loose enough with a wide neckline to slip over the head.

i want to do some that wrap & tie similarly to some regency-era gowns, just haven't gotten around to drafting a modern bodice from those that require regency corseting to fit properly. but will keep you posted.

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

Thanks, Susanna!
I am on myspace too (maymorris) I will look up your designs!
It occurred to me, re wrap dresses, you might also find the Chupa useful - the bodice is fitted, but the skirt wraps and ties without huge volume. It is very comfortable, and may I say it, chic!
peace and all good,
k