23 May 2008

Haying


I have discovered that my very own local hardware shop has 'grass whips' - otherwise known as scythes - and they are inexpensive. I have wanted something non motorised for ever, and was inspired by friend Susanna's tales of cutting grass with a scythe; a much more leisurely affair that I can engage in at the end of a day's work, as compared to the smelly, difficult, noisy and messy hauling out of the mower at the weekend. The mower gives me blisters and sore arms, as it must weigh as much as I do. My other option was a push mower, but this is much more friendly, in so many ways.

I can think of several songs to sing while working, mostly very old - the Mingulay Boat Song and Oro Se Do Beata Bhaile, among which. I confess to a romantic image in my mind from Tess of the D'urbervilles. Canna help it.

Huzzah!

No comments: